Tuesday 20 September 2011

Eternal Void Tech: Going Deeper

This is a follow-up to The Eternal Void, which is required reading for everyone free of the delusion of self.

Realising the eternal nature of the void has had one specific effect on me. When I focus on the void to deepen my sense of it, it's as if I'm now in a video game where my progress gets autosaved. I focus, and I nearly instantly find myself at whatever depth of experience I managed to attain before. I don't have to spend time and effort working my way back. I don't have to claw my way towards it through morasses of intense emotion. I can just immerse myself in its depths at will.

This makes sense. It's a deep, instinctual knowing that the void is there at all times. That's what being eternal means. And if it's always there, it should always be there to access. So far so good.

So here's how I've managed to deepen it further. Basically, we already know that the void is there all the time. But where is it all the time? Everywhere, of course.

In short, what I've found is that whenever I become able to see the void in an area of my experience, my overall access to it becomes easier and deeper. Which means ever higher levels of emotional stability and inner peace, instantly available. And because progress gets autosaved, I don't have to painstakingly condition myself to see a particular angle of void - I just have to do it a few times and that's it.

Here are some examples of what I've got so far:

- Space.

I focus on the space in the room around me (or outside), seeing it as a continuous thing in itself rather than just the gaps between various objects. It's especially easy outdoors, where you can get a sense of all the objects on the Earth's surface being dwarfed by the vast expanse of sky that envelops them.

The interesting effect of this is that now I become aware of the void whenever I look at my surroundings - whatever my reason for doing so. Thus, it serves as an automatic reminder that the void is there for me to access when I need emotional stability. I'd have given my right arm to have this kind of near-constant reminder back when I was a Tolle fan trying to practise presence. (mind you, I'm left-handed)

- Motion.

When you're liberated and you investigate far enough, you notice that you're not actually controlling your movements - they're all happening on autopilot. The sense of controlling them is just that - a thought taking credit, an illusion. There is something beautiful about watching one's body move freely, smoothly, with no need for a controller.

Again, I have free access to this now. And, having watched other people with this in mind, it is also rapidly becoming my default mode of perception. When I go out into the street, it is immediately obvious to me that the people walking by are doing so automatically, like clockwork, and that their actions aren't being controlled by any entity. Curiously, this is harder to do when interacting with someone - I should look into that.

The curious thing, however, is that while I am seeing this, it becomes a lot easier to realise a natural implication of no-self: it is pointless to blame anyone for anything. No-one is actually in control, so moral condemnation means nothing. Sure, you can take practical steps to deal with things (pretending for the moment that there is a you to choose to do this), but morality goes out of the window as a framework for judging people's actions.

For now, this has limited scope -while I no longer react angrily to smokers polluting my lungs with second-hand smoke on the street, I don't think I actually have non-judgement of people at a deep level quite yet. It's deepening, though.

- Sensation.

We all know that the primary experience of the void, for practical purposes, is that it makes one aware of the space around emotions and pain (including physical pain), thereby preventing them from dominating our experience and granting a degree of freedom from them without reducing actual intensity.

Right now, I'm experimenting with space not just "around", but also "in front", "behind" and "within". Now, this is heavily tied to how I visualise sensations and the void, so it might not be of much use to those who process them differently. The general point is this, though: there are lots of angles from which the void can be seen to be involved in inner experience, and taking the time to experience them (rather than just acknowledging that they must logically be there) "locks them in", as per the progress-saving power of the eternal void.

This is very new, but I'm getting the best mileage out of "within" right now. Namely, I am examining sensations/emotions and seeing that they are not solid chunks of feeling. Rather, they are lots and lots of little bits, with space in between them. Seeing this dramatically reduces their impact on me, like an upgrade to the original effect of the void in the first place.

So anyway. Those are the three big void-deepening areas I've found so far. I have some ideas for further exploration, such as the space between thoughts, as well as the space within them (e.g. between sounds during verbal thought). So far, every bit of void I've discovered has deepened my liberation overall, and since I know intellectually that the void is around and within all things, there should be plenty more to find.

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen. Are you also finding your progress autosaved? Can you find any bits of void I haven't mentioned, and is doing so giving you a deepening effect?

Spread this:
submit to reddit Share

8 comments:

Hicquodiam said...

Sure

When I was just starting to get a grip on this, the easiest place to find the void is in the space left after experience fades.

When experience is done being experience, it doesn't go into the past like my previous model of the world assumed it to; it just disappears. If you look at that space, and keep your attention on it, you'll realize that the space is there alongside experience as well. Focusing on that gives you all the cool chilling out effects.

Alexei said...

Shiny. I'll look into that one. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

'We all know that the primary experience of the void, for practical purposes, is that it makes one aware of the space around emotions and pain'

What space are you talking about. Same when in reference to the void you speak about space around thoughts. What space?

Thanks.

Alexei said...

For every sense, it's possible to experience a lack of data being returned. For example, when you're looking around you, you don't just see objects, you also see the space between them in which they exist. That space doesn't look like anything, but you can still be aware of it.

Likewise, with the sense of hearing, there is silence. Silence isn't a thing, it's not a type of sound, but you can still focus your attention on it.

Both of these are simply what happens when the senses of sight and hearing respectively fail to return data; when the brain expects to see or hear something, anything, but doesn't.

They have internal equivalents. Thoughts and feelings happen through the very same senses. You hear verbal thoughts, or see visual ones. You feel emotions through the same mechanisms that you use to feel physical sensations inside your body.

And those senses can fail to return data in exactly the same way as sight or hearing. When you learn what that feels like - when you learn to become directly aware of the silence before and after a verbal thought, or even the silence in between its sounds, you are becoming aware of the metaphorical space around thoughts.

The same principle applies to feelings. There is such a thing as not feeling anything inside your body, and this is the metaphorical space around your feelings when they occur. At any one time, a hundred nerves may be telling you that you're in severe emotional pain, but a nine hundred more will be sending back nothing at all.

By learning to be aware of all thousand nerves at the same time, not just the hundred that are trying to occupy your attention, you can get a sense of perspective on emotions that makes them a lot easier to deal with.

Ditto thoughts. When you are aware that even the most intense thought is just a tiny thing against the enormous backdrop of inner silence, it's a lot easier to deal with.

And then, of course, there is the empty gap where the brain used to think the self was. If you haven't seen this yet, I strongly urge you to check it out. The sense of perspective made available by discovering the space around *every belief you hold about yourself* is like nothing else.

Anonymous said...

Good response, thanks. So when your talking about the space around thoughts/emotions, you're not really aware of that space at the same time as you are aware of a certain thought/emotion but you moreso are aware that there IS an underlying stillness and that allows you to get back to that stillness so not to get fully caught up in thought/emotion, am I right? So no awareness of void during the time of thought/emotion but after that you are.

Alexei said...

Actually, you *can* be aware of both at the same time. To be aware that there IS an underlying stillness is the same as being aware OF the underlying stillness. Otherwise it would be a purely intellectual awareness which is of no use to anyone.

Ciaran's Eternal Void tech, which this article explores some angles of, is all about cultivating an ongoing awareness of the void via its temporal dimension, thus ensuring that you can be aware of it even as intense things are happening.

Gh0$T V1Ru$ said...

Hey Vel, it's chan.
We are back on www.truthstrike.com, still doing this, except without the shitty attitude and all that kill the lie bullshit. Be good to see you over there, your insight was great, we could use your talents.

ANIM ALIB said...

Hi Velorien
your words has great impact...
Thanks for the clarity

Recent Comments

Widget by ReviewOfWeb

Subscribe by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Connect via Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Google Chat

Followers

Powered by Blogger.