Friday 10 June 2011

How It Was For Me

Back when I was young and innocent, which is to say about a month ago, I followed a random link in a forum post and ended up at Ruthless Truth (yes, the one over there on the blogroll). I read a certain post, and it caused me to see something that changed my life forever.

I then went to a forum called the Ruthless Arena (yes, the one I link to at the top of this blog). It's a place where people who have seen the same thing gather together to help others see it. And this is what I posted:

*

So I read "Thunder and Sunshine" on Saturday night/Sunday morning. And I turned around and looked figuratively behind my eyes, at the space where I thought "I" was, the one to which all the beliefs and opinions and things are supposed to connect. And there was just an empty space. And I thought "wait, this can't mean what I think it means, right?" Then it hit me. If the space was empty, then there wasn't a need for it in the first place. No need for a space marked "self goes here". And then the space vanished.

So here's how I see it. I used to think that

I = A+B+C+D...

where A, B, C, D etc. are thoughts, beliefs, opinions, the body, mind, awareness etc. And enlightenment was supposed to be the realisation that this is not true, and

I = X

where X is some great mystical spiritual thing which will reveal all the mysteries of the universe to me once I realise that I am it.

Except that was totally missing the point. The reason I =/= A + B + C +D... is that there's no I. There's only A + B +C + D. And because there's nothing to identify with them, there isn't even an = sign. No equation. No equating. Just things that are.

So things just are, and just happen. Obviously, this mind, this body and this awareness (as in thing that observes thoughts and feelings, nothing more complicated than that) are connected. But I'm not the thing connecting them. They don't need a "me" to exist, and this is just as well since "me" doesn't exist, and never has.

That and I was pretty shocked when I realised nothing whatsoever had changed, at least right then. And then it was like "well, duh". The "I" never existed, so of course things would still work the same way as before with it "gone".

*

Now, I devote my time to helping other people see that there is no "I" the way Ruthless Truth helped me. Do you want to see the same thing? Or, if you think this is all nonsense, are you open to being proved wrong?

Then just look. That's all it takes. Look to see if there is an "I" anywhere in reality.

If you can't manage that, however hard you try, then come join us at the Ruthless Arena. Post a message in the Pit, and the finest minds of this generation will flock together to help you out. Or call me out in the Duelling Ground for some hardcore one-on-one discussion. Or, if you don't feel up for the Arena, get in touch with me via the Comments section, or any of those shiny tools to the right of this post.

The truth is waiting for you.

Spread this:
submit to reddit Share

0 comments:

Recent Comments

Widget by ReviewOfWeb

Subscribe by e-mail

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Connect via Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Google Chat

Followers

Powered by Blogger.